Friday, January 8, 2016

Who is Geaux?

                     Who is Geaux???

In December 2003 my husband Jim and his best friend Ed Clingerman, surprised Ed's wife Martha and I with a trip to Natchitoches Louisiana to the City of Lights Festival This town was so much fun, it was the town that the movie Steel Magnolia's was filmed in. We stayed in a wonderful Bed & Breakfast and toured the lights at night along the river banks. We had a delicious dinner with Ed and Martha and rang in 2004 New Year. 

Jim and I had decided that we needed a little travel mascot, kind of like the roaming gnome. We wanted something small and lightweight that would fit inside a small bag. While in Natchitoches, Martha and I went shopping. The men sat on a bench near the river chatting. In a small gift shop I spotted him. Small, lightweight and Cajun. A little stuffed alligator with a chef's hat. I purchased him and went to tell Jim. As I came toward Jim I actually did a little jump/skip. We had found our new little buddy.

Now for a name.  I always thought the word Geaux was funny.  Jim was from Lafayette Louisiana and the first time he took me there, I saw a sign. It said "Geaux Tigers!"  I asked Jim, "What is Geaux?" He said, "It's Cajun for go" I found it funny that they would take the time to write out geaux instead of go.  So we named our little Cajun alligator, Geaux, as he was going to be going with us, where ever we where going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment